Monday, October 18, 2010

Our sweet Sam...A tribute to Pediatric Therapy Works

Last week when I was looking in our old computer, I came across this speech that I wrote for the Camilla Ball this past February.  We were chosen as the poster family for Pediatric Therapy Works annual fundraiser.  Sam was the star of the show.  I was asked to tape a speech that would be played at the Ball itself--I am so thankful that it was taped as I am not a public speaker.  Anyway, I thought I'd share this as a tribute to all of the awesome girls at PTW and the work they do for our children.  Thanks girls!!

Good evening everyone. My name is Allison Morrison.

Many of you have had the opportunity to meet our sweet Sam tonight. He was the handsome little guy in the cool, blue wheels handing out fliers.
I must first say that as a parent, one of the hardest things you could ever have to face is the fact that your child is not going to be the way you planned for them to be. Whether it be a developmental delay, cerebral palsy, autism, I could go on and on…no diagnosis is easy to accept.
I can tell you that for me being a nurse, I knew something was wrong with Sam when he did not reach developmental milestones as I knew he should. In my heart I knew what was wrong with him. I didn’t need a diagnosis from a doctor. I knew!
But, of course, everyone else needed convincing, so we did the tests and saw the doctor’s. Our first thoughts were now what? What do we do with this precious child we’ve been blessed with? How can we help him reach his full potential?
That is when our lives intersected with the awesome girls at PTW. They took Sam (and us) under their wing and together we have traveled this road of cerebral palsy. The little brick building that you see from the road does not do justice to the large amount of love and accomplishments you find inside. My neice, Mary Beth Corn, also attends PTW and her mom recently said that it has never been about what MB can’t do, but about what she can and will do.
We have been at therapy at least three days a week for the past two years and I have spent many an hour in the waiting room. I have seen numerous children and parents and therapists coming and going. I can tell you that I have seen the love these girls feel for the kids that come through those doors. All of them from the staff at the front to the students who pass through to train.
Unless you have a child with special needs, you cannot imagine some of the personalities and needs of the children. I have never, not once, seen a therapist approach or treat these children in any way except with love and respect. And let me tell you that takes a very special group of people. To put your emotions and bad day feelings aside and love these kids and help them to reach the potential that they were designed for is a trait that we should all hope we could attain.
I want to thank you, the community, for the support that you have shown PTW tonight and in turn all of our children who are blessed to be touched by this special place. Without your continued support, some of the services that we have come to depend to better the lives of our kids could be cut. Please know that the money you give is not wasted or spent on frivolous things, but on our children, the future of this community.
And also a very big Thank you to all the girls at PTW. Your generosity and kindness with our children reminds us of how special we know they are and in turn, they know they are of value too. Thanks again and have a great time tonight.
Two-year old Sam Morrison of Belton walks near people dancing to The Swinging Medallions of Greenwood at the 16th annual Camelia Ball at the Civic Center of Anderson.  The event raised $160,000 for the AnMed Health Pediatric Therapy Works, benefitting children including Sam.
(From Anderson Independent Mail, Feb. 2010)
Sam is rocking the red Ba...
Two-year old Sam Morrison of Belton and his father John Morrison are near people dancing to The Swinging Medallions of Greenwood at the 16th annual Camelia Ball at the Civic Center of Anderson.  The event raised $160,000 for the AnMed Health Pediatric Therapy Works, benefitting children including Sam.
Sam and Daddy

No comments: