Thursday, October 7, 2010

The most important thing a mother can do for her children

I read a devotional post over on Proverbs 31 this morning that really got me to thinking.  It was on praying boldly for our children and I had to ask myself, "Self, do you do this?".  My answer to myself was--NO!
I don't pray for my kids as I should.  Why?  That's a good question...I do pray for my kids, but do I dare to ask for something other than protection and safety for them?
In all honesty, I don't pray for them like I should because I don't know that it makes a difference.  I know that sounds harsh, but it is reality.  My head knows what the bible says about prayer and about Christ being our High Preist who intercedes to the Father for us...I have head knowledge of that, but not heart knowledge.  So what does that mean?  Does it mean I don't believe what the bible says?  No, I don't think so.  I think it means I am questioning the truth just like the Bereans did in Acts (17:11). 
I am a visual person and it is hard for me to live by faith...I guess that's why it's called faith though.  I have to reach beyond what my mind can concieve...what my eyes can see and believe that God is God and His Word speaks truth. 
Even Jesus spent a lot of His time here on earth praying to His Father.  If we are to be imitators of Christ then isn't it safe to say that we should spend a lot of our time in prayer also? 
For those of you who know my kids, you know how special they are--one is adopted from Guatemala, one has cerebral palsy, and the other was born at 34 weeks with no problems so far.  They each have a testimony that Satan would love to supress or eliminate all together, but I want them to use their lives as a testimony of the love and faithfulness of God.  In light of this I know that I, as their mother, must petition God daily for my kids.  If I don't, who will?  This could be the single most important thing I ever do for my kids.   I don't want to give the enemy an open door to sneak in and run off with my children!  He can't have them...they are God's children and I will pray boldly for them!

'But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.' Matthew 6:6

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hi Allison, I've been thinking about the way I pray for and with my children too. Every night I pray over them before they go to sleep. I pray for God to move into their hearts and for them to seek Him and to love Him desperately. Sometimes it seems redundant, but I can't think of anything more important than that! What I need to be doing more often though is stopping to pray with them throughout the day over "whatever"... when we're having a tough time getting through school... when they're bickering. Sometimes I think I'm cramming His word and His ways down their throats instead of using it to guide them. I need to lighten up a little on the "tough love" I guess! I need to show them how God works in the day-to-day, which reminds me that I'm not going to Him enough in the day to day! Anyway, I appreciate your honesty and your post! Have a blessed day!!

humbledmum said...

Hi
My son has CP and I truly believe that he's come this far because God's answered my prayers and of those who prayed along with me. Prayer makes a difference. That's all I wanted to say : )