Monday, July 18, 2011

Th...Th...That's All Folks!

Moses said to the LORD, “Pardon your servant, Lord. I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”  The LORD said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the LORD?  Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.” 
  Exodus 4:10-12

My boys love to watch the new Looney Tunes and that means Mama does too.  On one of the most recent episodes, Speedy Gonzales has a new pizza he is wanting Bugs Bunny to market.  Poor Porky Pig wants to be in the commercial so bad, but if you'll remember he has a little speech problem.  Of course, Speedy only wants the more eloquent Bugs to be the spokesman for the newest Taco pizza.  Bugs doesn't want to be in the commercial and so begins the parody of getting it made while making all parties involved happy.

This hilarious episode reminds me of how I feel this week as I get ready to attend the She Speaks conference that is put on by Proverbs 31.  The writer in me wants to have the Bugs Bunny voice, but I feel more like Porky Pig.  When I look on the SheSpeaks Facebook page, I feel like Moses when God called him to be the one to lead the Israelites out of captivity. 

I am not eloquent with my words and I never set out to be a 'writer'.  Whereas Moses felt inadequate in his speech, I feel most inadequate putting my thoughts into words.  But He has had other plans for me, it seems.  When I read the verses above, I like to remind myself that God made not only our mouths to speak, but our hands to write.  This week, I am stepping out of my comfort zone, giving Him my fears, and continuing a journey that He has set me on.  By the way, Porky does end up being in the commercial...

6 comments:

Jenifer Metzger said...

I know exactly how you feel! I feel like Porky Pig also. I want my words to be wise and well written, but I am horrible at grammer and often think my words are goofy. But the thing is, God can still us me! That is so awesome! Great post and reminder Allison!

Heidi said...

Me too... Porky Pig all the way! I love your analogy and scripture is just perfect. I need to remember it is Him who makes it all happen... He will equip us to do whatever He is calling us to do. Have a wonderful time at She Speaks... wish I was going again too! Can't wait to see how the Lord inspires and moves you :)

Unknown said...

Another Porky Pig here. :) I stumble over my words all the time. But like Heidi and Jenifer said, God can and will use us. We just have to be available to Him. Have fun at the conference!

Phather Phil Malmstrom said...

This is something I've struggled with as well Allison, but thankfully when I open my heart and mind to God's Voice the words seem to come all the same. Have a wonderful time at the conference!

Have a Blessed Day!

P.S. I've always enjoyed your posts! :-)

Debbie Dillon said...

I totally identify with this - so good to stop by and read your heart. Great post!

Eileen said...

Allison, I am so thankful you are stepping out of your comfort zone too! I feel the same way when I look at the FB page...I'm Porky Pig too:) But, I can't wait to learn, learn, and learn some more!