Tuesday, July 12, 2011

She's Back!

She is clothed with strength and dignity;  she can laugh at the days to come.  Proverbs 31:25

This woman keeps showing up everywhere I go.  You remember her, the perfect Proverbs 31 woman?  I bet she even had great hair all the time!  I've read about her on numerous occasions, but have never seen the second part of the verse above:  she can laugh at the days to come.  I don't think the word laugh here means a giggle, but a full blown belly-busting hooorrraahhh!

If you read about the P31 gal, you'll find that her life isn't easy.  It's hard.  She is provider, nurturer, caretaker, helpmate, mother, business woman...her days to come probably seem pretty overwhelming most times.  But she doesn't look upon them with dread.  I'm thinking that maybe she had so much to take care of each day she couldn't do anything but laugh at tomorrow.  She was doing good to get through today!

On the other hand, maybe she had so much trust in God she just dared tomorrow to try to get her down.  She lived her life day by day trusting in her God and the promises that He had made.  She was faithful, diligent, and intentional.  The P31 lady just keeps getting better the more I get to know her.  I hope to be able to laugh at tomorrow.  Not a giggle, mind you, but the snorting, wheezing, crying kind!

5 comments:

Jenifer Metzger said...

I used to be terrified of the P31 woman, now I love her! God put her in the Word not so we could feel that we never measure up, but to encourage us. And I want to laugh along with her!

Unknown said...

Allison, I can't say that I remember reading that part of the verse before. I want to laugh with her too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison - I love the Proverbs 31 woman - i see her as my bench mark. Something to keep aiming for. One verse i love is v28: Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. I'd love for my kids to look up to me like that.
God bless
Tracy

Charissa Steyn said...

Thanks for the encouragement today!!!I love this part, "On the other hand, maybe she had so much trust in God she just dared tomorrow to try to get her down. " Well written friend- it's fun to dream about what this P31 woman looked like...I can only hope I am a little similar- so much I'm still learning!!

Heidi said...

I want to laugh at the days to come, but I confess I need work :( Thank you for this great reminder! Love the way you pink'd it up around here Allison :)