Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hat's Off!

'For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.'  1 Corinthians 3:9



Have you ever felt like a hat rack?  The kind where everybody and their sister comes by, leaves a hat, and then forgets to come back and get it?  Then you end up trying to wear each hat that's been left because they are all so cute?  That is exactly where I am at right now.  I am driving myself crazy trying to make sure all of the hats left on my rack get worn.

Mind you, not all of the hats were left there by other people.  I've bought my fair share of them only to look at the rack and wonder why I needed all these hats!  I probably sound like a crazed woman and you're wondering what in the world I'm talking about...hats....racks...I'm talking about the different kinds of roles (hats) we try to play in our daily lives.  Just so you get an idea of what I mean, let me list my hat rack for you:
Jesus girl, wife/Mommy, small group bible study leader, blogger (in 3 different places), nurse (3 days a week and a whole other story entirely), children's pastor, helpmate to youth leader, praise/worship singer, special needs child transporter/supporter/caregiver, Women's ministry starter-upper...I think I'll just leave it at that.

Can I say that I am tired?  Satan is really trying to beat me down as I try to juggle all of these hats I've 'bought' along the way.  I've decided that I need to bag up some of my hats and donate them to Goodwill.  The problem becomes:  which ones do I choose?  They are all so important.  Maybe I'm meant to keep all of them and He is going to teach me organization and time management?  I'm thinking it's more like "get over yourself girl!  You are not responsible for your little corner of My kingdom by yourself.  Let go of your pride and ask for some help!"  Whatever He's up to I'm willing to go with Him, but first I have to seek Him and His will for me.

So be on the lookout for some of my cool hats.  You may see one coming your way soon...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison - praying you select the right hats for keeping
God bless
Tracy

Kelli said...

What a great post! You are so right. We do wear many hats and Satan loved when we get run down. Those run-down-times are the moments I let down my guard and snap off someone's head when I don't mean too. Those are the times I don't exhibit the fruit of the Spirit...then I feel like I failed. But I am learning to say "no." I'm learning my limitations. I'm learning to turn off the computer and the phone and go outside with the kids... I'm a work in progress!:)

Unknown said...

You're learning a lesson that many of us have to learn. We can't and aren't expected to do it all. God gave each of us abilities and gifts. Continue to let God guide you as to which hats you should keep. Many blessings, Allison!

Phather Phil Malmstrom said...

Wow Allison, do I know about the "hat dance". lol I have no doubt the Lord will lead you to the proper path, and help you control your burgeoning wardrobe. :-)

Have a Blessed Day!

Ken said...

Allison, I pray the Lord direct your path in the way you should go with all the hats. Seek his direction.
Blessings,
Ken

Eileen said...

Allison, your post made me think of this quote. "The kingdom is. That's it. Jesus does not need you or me to nail it together." Rick McKinley

So hard sometimes not to get caught up in all the hats we think we need to wear. Happy Friday, to you!

Debbie Dillon said...

Yep, I'm a hat rack, too - and I love that analogy! But WOW, you do have a lot of hats, girl! Only by the grace of God can we ever hope to wear them all well :) Keep up the great work. You're doing an amazing job.