Monday, March 7, 2011

Marvelous Monday: Whatever is Pure

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Philippians 4:8

I love to read.  When I was little, all I wanted was books.  I'd tell my mom that I could be doing worse things and she'd fall for it every time and buy me another book.  As an adult, I read whenever I can find the time.  I read labels, cereal boxes, signs, you name it and I read it.  I used to read only secular fiction.  I became convicted several years ago that if I was going to read it needed to be something pleasing to Him.  I imagined God watching my life and the disappointment He felt with what I was doing with my time.

So, I moved to reading only Christian fiction.  Next, I was convicted that I if I was going to spend all of this time reading, even if it was Christian books, I should probably be reading some non-fiction books that would teach me more about Him.  That is where my journey into bible study began.  I never really knew how much information was out there to get me in the Scripture.  Excellent and praise worthy reading that would help me in my walk with Him.

I've recently found a book that I want to recommend to you all.  It's called Deeper into the Word by Keri Wyatt Kent.  I love this book.  I am by no means a bible scholar, but I love to hear the Greek or Hebrew meanings of a word that I come across in the Word.  Sometimes that determines what the Scripture is telling us and how to apply it in the here and now.  Keri goes in depth on 100 words from the New Testament covering everything from Afraid to Yoke.  You can use the book in conjunction with your daily bible reading, a bible study you're currently doing, or as a daily devotion.  Love it!  It's a great book to add to your resource collection (or use it to start one).

I'm thankful that I heard the Spirit nudging me all those years ago and that I obeyed His call to read only things that are pure, right, noble, lovely,  and admirable.  I can enjoy my favorite past time without feeling guilty.  I can leave my books out for my kids to see.  I don't have to hide them in the cabinet because the front cover is so shameful.  What a relief that is.  Think about what you read and how it affects your walk with Him.  If it's not excellent or praiseworthy, should you be reading it?

I was sent a copy of this book for review by the Publisher.

5 comments:

Eileen said...

I love to read too! And thank you for the book recommendation. I love finding out meanings of words in the bible too. This book looks great.

Happy Monday to you!

Jenifer Metzger said...

That is so me! I have always been a big reader. And I only read Christian fiction. I love the Love Inspired novels and books that are Christian fiction/historical, like from Janette Oke. I read constantly. I never like non-fiction/self help type books, including devotionals. It was only about two years ago that I started reading devotional books and now I love them! The Bible is, of course, my favorite read!

Heidi said...

I love to read too and that looks like a great book that I will check it out! I agree, digging into the greek and hebrew words really brings the verses to life.

Unknown said...

Great post! Every part of our lives should be pleasing to God and bring glory to Him. Thanks for the book recommendation. Many blessings!

Phather Phil Malmstrom said...

Sounds like a book I need to look into! Thank you so much for the referral. :-)

Have a Blessed Day Allison!