Thursday, March 24, 2011

AAAGGGHHHH...Rest

'Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.'  Psalm 62:5

How can you find emotional rest?  Even if we appear to be cool as a cucumber on the outside, we are most likely an emotional mess on the inside.  Things come at us on all sides:  kids, jobs, spouses, society, the state of the world itself.  There just seems to be no relief in sight.  How can one possibly find emotional rest with all these bombardments?

If you try to find rest, you will not be successful.  It is not something that can be 'found'.  It must be accepted.  Our God offers His rest to us.  It is there for the taking.  Even when the world is falling apart around us, we can reside in His perfect peace.  It is a choice we make, despite what our feelings are telling us. 

Just as we think we've found peace and rest, the enemy is prowling around, trying his best to get a foothold in our mind.  That is why we must put on our armor everyday and make our choice to rest in Him no matter what.  Give that devil the fight he's looking for!  We've got to spend time in the Word, seek His direction for our lives, be with other believers--fill your mind with 'Kingdom thoughts' and not worldly ones.  Emotional rest is not something we can have in our own power, but if we access the power that we have in Him, we can find this elusive place and rest...


8 comments:

Kelli said...

Awesome! "Rest is something that isn't found, it's something that is accepted." What a great sentence Allison! So true...you can look and only "find" it momentarily but God is the Father of all mercies and comfort. We can only find true rest with HIM! Love it!

Eileen said...

So true. We simply need to humbly accept the rest He offers us. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Jesus said, "Come unto me and I will give you rest." I want to accept that rest He has for me.

Debbie Dillon said...

I love this post. I know of so many others who could sure use the kind of rest only Jesus offers! Thanks for your beautiful words and be blessed!

Lisa notes... said...

Put on the armor. Yes! That's the way the Lord has called us to fight against the enemy. I'm so glad he equips us...now I need to remember to get dressed for the task. Thanks for sharing this.

Phather Phil Malmstrom said...

This was wonderful Allison.

When I was praying for my "One Word" for the year, God told me I needed to "Accept" some things so your statement : "If you try to find rest, you will not be successful. It is not something that can be 'found'. It must be accepted." really got me. Thank you!

Have a Blessed Day!

Unknown said...

Definitely in Him. Yes! :D

Janis Van Keuren said...

His rest involves our surrender to Him and to His Word. We can't grasp at it, like you have said, but we can make ourselves available to receive it.

Blessings,
Janis

Came from Faith Barista