Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday's Unwrapped: Character

"But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,"
Matthew 6:3
"so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."  Matthew 6:18

The above verses show ways that we develop and maintain our character as a Christian.  We should not seek to gain attention for ourselves when we do what is right in the eyes of the Lord.  He is the only One we should seek to please...and He knows what we do when no one else does.

I had a 'develop my character' moment one Friday afternoon when I went to the local drugstore to buy tickets for the high school football game.  They lady selling the tickets told me that children 1st grade and older needed a ticket.  I only had my three year old with me, but my six year old would be joining us for game.  My first inclination was to just buy a ticket for myself and my husband because my six year old could pass as four.  No one would know the difference.  Surely they won't ask how old he is at the gate.  Then that small voice whispered in my ear, "Do you not remember the devotions that you read this morning?  What kind of character are you developing if you are deceitful about a football ticket?  What if they do ask your child?  Will you tell him to lie?"

Then that other voice, you know the loud one that tries to get you to do the wrong thing, says, "Oh, who's gonna know?  Something as small as a football ticket isn't gonna make a difference in eternity is it?  You really need the money right now and they are $6!"
"The man of intergrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out."  Proverbs 10:9
Oh what to do?  I wouldn't have thought twice about this a few months ago, but now I really was convicted about a silly football ticket.

Sam's first football game!

So I bought three tickets!  And I felt great!  I knew I had done the right thing and not a soul knew about the thoughts I had.  But God.  God knew exactly what I was thinking and He knew that I had to make a choice.  He was showing me that character doesn't neccesarily develop over big decisions, but it's the small ones that add up.  By no means was this an earth shattering, alert the media-she has made the decision to build up her character!  No, but I knew what had happened. 

I am by far a Ruth or Proverbs 31 woman of character, but I know that with each little victory over the deceitful voice (and we all know him) I am well on my way!


3 comments:

Kelli said...

This is a great post!! I love when you wrote "He was showing me that character doesn't neccesarily develop over big decisions, but it's the small ones that add up." Yes little daily victories that add up to a perservering P31 woman! So funny I referenced the qualities of a P31 woman today as well! Sometimes we focus so much on the extraordinary that we overlook the ordinary!

Jenifer Metzger said...

I love this Allison! I have had many of these kinds of moments. I have not always done the right thing, but God is working with me on it. Thank you for this encouragement. I want to always do the right thing.

Phather Phil Malmstrom said...

Excellent post Allison!

We've all had those moments where that "inner demon" is trying to get us to head down the wrong path. You're completely right, our character is built one little victory, one little kindness and one little choice at a time.

Thank you for the reminder to always follow His Path!

Have a Blessed Day!