Friday, December 31, 2010

Bringing in the New Year with Passion


Tomorrow we'll be heading to Atlanta GA to be part of Passion 2011.  If you've never heard of it you are missing out.  Louie Giglio, Chris Tomlin, Beth Moore, David Crowder Band, and more...Wow, it's an awesome time.  It's designed for college students 18-26 and if you're older you can participate by volunteering (as we'll be doing).

What better way to ring in the new year than serving our Lord and these students.  There will be over 20,000 of them. These young adults are our future.  We have to show them Jesus in a way that they'll hear Him.  It's not like my grandma learned about Him.  Jesus never changes.  He remains the same.  But the way the message is delivered (technologically speaking) has to match the culture.

I know of a lot of people who'd disagree with that statement.  And that's OK.  But really, would you go door to door on a college campus handing out cute Jesus tracks and expect to get somewhere?  NO!  They'd laugh you right out the door.  But if you go in with a concert or free dinner or something else that appeals to college kids and you introduce Jesus to them they're more likely to listen.  Especially if the deliever of the message is their age or can relate to them on their level.

So, that is what this weekend is all about.  Showing Jesus to these students.  Serving them.  Going out of our way to be a light in their darkness.  Empowering them.  Encouraging them.  And in return we have the satisfaction of knowing that we made a difference in this generation.  Please join with me in prayer for the event.  The leaders, volunteers, students, the venue, the hotels, and the people whose lives are touched just by seeing what is going on.  That would be the CNN center workers, security for the venues, hotel owners, the homeless people, and anyone else that may be touched.

'Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.'  1 Peter 4:10

I hope everyone has a happy New Year.  On Monday, I'll be guest posting over at Living a Changed Life.  Check it out.  I'll also post it here too as I'll be down in the depths of the Georgia World Congress Center serving students!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to ring in the new year! I agree that the message never changes but the way we deliver it does change.
Happy New Year, Allison!

Heidi said...

Oh, sounds absolutely wonderful... I am green with envy! Have a fabulous time, can't wait to hear how God speaks to you on this trip!

Phather Phil Malmstrom said...

Absolutely wonderful Allison! I applaud your efforts to bring His Message to the young people in a way that reaches them. Shannon, myself and some friends were actually sitting in our home discussing the challenge of bringing His Word to the young people today, and ways we could do so more effectively. What you're doing looks like an amazing event, and I pray that it all goes well!

Thank you for being such a Blessing and inspiration to myself and your other readers each day, and have a wondrous New Years!

Kelli said...

Oh you are soooo lucky! My husband was trying to get me to go but I didnt have luck getting on as a volunteer! All those people leading are totally awesome! Please tell us how it goes! Say hey to Francis Chan for me!!!

Debbie Dillon said...

That sounds like so much fun! We have a similar event out here in California called Spirit West Coast - it's amazing!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. I've been away for a few days and just got back. Thanks a bunch and God Bless!

Unknown said...

@kelli- frrances chan spoke 2nite. I wish I saw your comment sooner u could have seen it live Online!