Wednesday, September 8, 2010

We have pancakes every Saturday because I LIKE them!

I really do!  I like pancakes!  They are good and you can put different things in them to make them a little bit different...chocolate chips, sausage and cheese, pecans and cinnamon...see, a smorgasbord of pancake goodness.  OK, so I have to admit that as much as I like pancakes the real reason that we eat them every Saturday is because I don't like change.  There, I said it.  I. DO. NOT. LIKE. CHANGE!!  It is an ugly word to me that means insecurity and the unknown.  I don't like it.  I rate it up there with mice in my house.
Take this week for example.  As you may remember I spent part of my birthday with the technician from Dish network.  He was changing out our dish and receivers so we could get HD (like we really needed it but I do get to see Kirk Herbstreet better).  Jon comes home and completely redoes the way our receivers are hooked up.  It is different and I don't like it.  I don't need to see HD in my bedroom, but he seems to think we do.  It was as I was fussing at him that I realized my problem.  Change.  And I don't like it (can you tell I don't like change).
All of these feelings got me to thinking about why I am this way about change.  I mean it's not that bad most of the time so why do I hate it so much?  I like to be in control, that's why!  I like to know what's coming next.  I want to read the end of the book before I even start it to make sure it comes out OK.  I love security and stability.  Then it hit me-Ruth!
This summer I did the six week Beth Moore Siesta Bible study on Ruth by Kelly Minter (maybe it took me a tad bit longer than that but I did finish).  Ruth had to change everything she knew to follow Naomi.  She left her family, her homeland, her gods, her customs...she left it all to follow her mother in law into a foreign land.  A foreign land where Moabites were hated (Ruth was a Moabitess).  She was willing to change though and look what happened to her.  She ended up married to a rich man, Boaz, and her ended up in the lineage of Christ.
What about the disciples?  These were ordinary working men going about their business on an ordinary day when a man comes up to them and says, "Follow me."  And what did they do?  Say, "No, I can't today.  It's Saturday and my wife is making pancakes."  NO!  They dropped what they were doing and immediately followed Christ.  They knew He was something special and they didn't want to miss it.
So, where does that leave me and my resistance to change?  How can I be truly devoted and sold out to Christ if I'm not willing to change?
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."
Luke 9:23
I must be willing to deny myself and my wants and needs of security and sameness every day to follow Christ and His will for me!  Am I willing to do this?  Absolutely I am!  I don't want to miss out on what He has in store for me because I know it will be something special!
We may even have omelets on Saturday...well, maybe...

No comments: