Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday's Unwrapped

I went to Bible study last night and the small group leader said something that was a 'TaDa' moment for me.  She mentioned that one of the biggest schemes of the devil was the sin of distraction.  That is the reason that God had me choose tonight to start attending the study.  I needed to hear those words-sin of distraction!
I mean this could be my T-shirt.  I was just distracted for a good five minutes looking for some sort of picture to demonstrate what I meant by distraction!  And I'm fixing to spend another five looking up the definition :-)

Distracted:  Unable to concentrate because one's mind is preoccupied.
Isn't that the definiton of just about everyone in today's society.  We are just preoccupied all the time.  With our family, our jobs, our needs, our wants, our fears, our schedules...and on and on.  It's just too much.  I think Satan uses our distracted lives as a ploy to get us away from our time with Him.  "I just didn't get to the bible study tonight because I was late getting home".  Or "I just didn't have my quiet time this morning because I turned on the TV and got distracted by what was on the news".  God warns us in Scripture that Satan is real and he's on the prowl:


Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  1 Peter 5:8

Take this to heart today.  When the distractions come remember the enemy is on the prowl and he's looking to do anything he can to get us 'distracted' and away from our time with Him.  Make the choice not to let the distractions of life get in the way of growing your relationship with Him.  I know I have and I am thankful that I had the 2x4 slapped to my forehead kind of 'duh' moment and recognized my distractions for what they were.  Praying the same for you today...

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Ah, Allison my husband and I were just discussing this before he left for work! Part of it is technology for me... there is so much to be distracted by! I am just like you I will look 30 minutes for the best picture to illustrate my point and it eats me up! Focusing on what's important today and trying to leave the distractions to themselves! Thanks, great encouragement.

Unknown said...

Allison, this is a battle for me too. I am so easily distracted. I find it hard to concentrate on one thing. But I want God to always have my full attention. Thanks for this post!

Phather Phil Malmstrom said...

Excellent point Allison. It's very easy to get caught up in the multitude of distractions all around us, and to misplace our focus from where it's meant to be... On His Voice!

Thank you for the poignant reminder, and have a Blessed Day!