Monday, May 23, 2011

Sink or Swim

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”   Matthew 11:28-30



We just enjoyed a great weekend of fellowship with our church youth group at one of the local lakes.  The kids loved the water, even though it felt about 35 degrees, and did some rock climbing and jumping off said rocks into that frigid water!  My hubby loves to do this and is game to take anyone along who is up to the challenge with him.  I can say that would not be me.  The highest they jumped this weekend was from about 40-50 feet...too high, if you ask me.


Hubby jumping off 'the rock'
The one thing they did do that I was grateful for was wear their life jackets.  They are all good swimmers, but had sense enough to know that a jump from that high may take their breath or cause them to panic resulting in a scenario I don't even want to think about.  As I was watching them, with one eye open and one shut, I got to thinking about how Jesus is like our life jacket in life.  
We could do this thing called life on our own and probably do a fairly good job at it...until a crisis comes along that causes us to panic.  What would we do then?  We'd have nowhere to turn, but to our own devices...scary!  But if we live our life with Jesus by our side, when those times of trouble come along, we can just let go and let him keep us afloat.  We don't have to doggie paddle in the frigid lake.  We can just float along and wait on Him to work it out for us.

This summer, whenever you put on a life jacket, remember that Jesus is your flotation device!  He's one that you never want to take off.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

In good times, it seems like we are able to do life on our own. But when those waves roll in and threaten to overtake us, I'm so glad that I have Jesus to keep me afloat. I can't imagine going through life without Him.

Kelli said...

Jesus is definately my life jacket. He has saved me from drowning many times. I really like this "We don't have to doggie paddle in the frigid lake. We can just float along and wait on Him to work it out for us." This is great because we don't have to worry, Jesus is ready to carry it for us!

Phather Phil Malmstrom said...

Wonderful analogy Allison! Christ has saved me more than once, and I'm eternally thankful He's there each day!

Have a Blessed Day!

Eileen said...

Loved this analogy too. Often it takes seasons in the frigid water before we cry out to Him. We need to get to that point where we understand that without Him we will eventually drown.