Monday, August 30, 2010

The promise of a full quiver

So as promised I thought I'd share a little about what happened with the birth of our third son, Charlie, a few weeks ago.  He is already proving his Morrison stubborness by showing up six weeks early!
I was at work having a normal day which by this time consisted of sitting on a stool in the procedure room with this crampy feeling in my upper abdomen (I am an endoscopy nurse).  After a case, I felt something like a litle bit of...well you know after you've had children when you sneeze or laugh too hard you lose a little something...anyway, I couldn't stop it from coming.  To make a long story short, I went to Anmed and after much ado it was determined that my water had indeed broken.  I was admitted and the plan was to hold out until Thursday (this was Monday) and deliever Charlie by the planned C-section.
I have to say that my first instinct was absolute panic...I wasn't ready, he was too small, what if God chose to take him home to heaven, why me?  But in the stillness of the exam room I prayed that His will be done and that He'd give me comfort and strength to pass through whatever was coming my way.  It had come through His hands after all.  After that moment I was completely calm.  This is not at all my nature so I know beyond a doubt that it was God and only Him that was keeping me sane.
I was put on bedrest as I waited for the day and needless to say I was going crazy.  I had cooked and built and traveled as much as I could stand with the TV.  Jon had brought my bible and I must confess I hadn't picked it up yet...I think I was in the place that all I could do was pray for strength and peace.  When I did finally pick it up I prayed for God to give me a word that everything was indeed going to be OK.
In His grace, He gave me Psalm 127:
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.  Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.  In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat-for he grants sleep to those he loves.
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.   Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.  Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.  They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate."
I knew when I read these words that the blessing of Charlie would be a reality.  I didn't know if he'd be healthy or what, but I knew that God would grant us with the blessing of his life.  All of our days are numbered before there is one of them and God was in control.  I knew that no matter what we had done or hadn't done for Christ that we love Him above all else and were trusting Him for the outcome of our situation.  He had indeed granted us sleep (or rest) in Him.
Charlie Lee Morrison was born on August 5 at 5lb. 12 ounces and was considered as healthy as a 37 weeker.  God has blessed us beyond anything we deserve and we give Him all the praise and glory!

No comments: