Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What does real faith look like?

"Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf."  Prov. 11:28
I'm pretty sure the green leaf in the above verse is not referring to money, but it does for me today.  I've been praying about going back to work.  This has come to my mind as I'm halfway through my maternity leave.  I feel torn between my role as mommy and wife and the one of provider of the insurance.  I tell my husband that we could just go on Obamacare but I'd feel too guilty to do that when I'm able-bodied to work.  If we didn't get sick or need shots or well visits or dental visits (which we haven't used in a while) then I could just stay at home. 
So....what to do?  Then it hit me!  This is an area of faith.  This is where the rubber meets the road.  Do I believe that God wants me to be at home and to be more available to my children?  Do I trust Him to take care of us if we are in the center of His will?  Or do I think that I have to be the one to take care of us by providing insurance and additional income?  Do I think that Jon should have to go out and get a job that provides insurance?
"If I have put my trust in gold or said to pure gold, "You are my security,"  Job 31:24
"Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you."  John 6:27
I have put my trust in my job and my green leafed money to provide the security for my family.  I have worked for food that spoils.  I mean really, when I'm gone do I want my legacy to be that I provided health insurance for my family or that I was at home investing in the lives of my children?  I need to be providing food to my kids that will last them for eternity not just while they are here on earth.
I need to step out in real faith and believe what I say...that God will provide for us and take care of us just as He has promised.
"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:19
I'll keep you posted on what happens as Nov. 1 draws nearer!  I'm praying I'll have the courage to jump out of the boat and trust God to keeps us afloat. 
Who wouldn't want to spend more time with these sweet boys?

No comments: